With temperatures soaring into the 90’s until tomorrow evening (and high humidity levels), it’s important to know where you can go to get some relief. If you don’t have air-conditioning or it isn’t working, Jersey City has provided a number of cooling centers throughout the city for residents. The city says, “all residents, especially the elderly, disabled people, pregnant women and children under the age of two are encouraged to stay indoors or take advantage of the facilities as necessary.” Here’s a quick list of the cooling centers. For a complete guide including the hours at each location, click here for the city’s official press release.
- Five Corners Library, 678 Newark Avenue
- Jersey City Main Library, 472 Jersey Avenue
- Greenville Library, 1841 John F. Kennedy Boulevard
- Glenn D. Cunningham Library, 275 Martin Luther King Drive
- Miller Branch Library, 489 Bergen Avenue
- The Heights Branch Library, 14 Zabriskie Avenue
The city also suggests taking advantage of the water sprinklers and municipal pools throughout the city. In addition, there are six pools located at Jersey City public schools, which are available to residents during the summer months. Here is a list of the locations, for hours please click here.
- P.S. # 6, 100 St. Paul’s Avenue
- P.S. # 16, 96 Sussex Street
- P.S. # 23, 143 Romaine Avenue
- P.S. # 27, 201 North Street
- P.S. # 40, 88 Gates Avenue
- P.S. # 41, 59 Wilkinson Avenue
- Ferris HS, 35 Colgate Street
Be sure to stay cool!